
Tehran could use the Houthis to take action in the Bab al-Mandab Strait, which connects the Red Sea to the Gulf of Aden and the Indian Ocean.
A missile was launched from Yemen toward Israeli territory on Saturday morning, marking the first such attack by the Iran-backed Houthis since Operation Roaring Lion began a month ago, the IDF has confirmed.
Air defense systems were activated to intercept the threat, the military said, as sirens sounded across Beersheba and surrounding communities in the Negev. Residents were instructed to follow Home Front Command guidelines amid the unfolding situation.
Shortly before the sirens, the IDF identified the launch originating from Yemen, with the projectile heading toward southern Israel. Alerts were subsequently triggered in Beersheba and nearby areas, while a preliminary warning was also issued regarding the possibility of sirens in Eilat.
There were no immediate reports of casualties or direct impacts at the time of writing.
The Houthis, an Iran-backed proxy based in Yemen, have previously threatened to target Israel in coordination with other Iranian proxies in the region. However, this marks the first confirmed missile launch toward Israeli territory from Yemen since the war began on February 28.
Houthis issue final warning before joining the war
While the Houthis had so far avoided joining the war, a Houthi leader told Reuters on Friday that the group was ready to get involved and potentially support Tehran's war efforts in the Red Sea. During the war in Gaza, the Houthis repeatedly attacked shipping vessels in the Red Sea, triggering an international shipping and trade crisis.
Saturday morning's attack could signal the opening of another front in the current conflict, which would likely deepen the global oil and economic crisis brought on by the ongoing war.
"We stand fully militarily ready with all options. As for other details having to do with determining zero hour, they are left to leadership, and we are monitoring and following up with the developments and will know when the suitable time is to move," the anonymous Houthi leader said this week.
"Until now, Iran has been doing well and is defeating the enemy every day, and the battle is going in its direction. If anything contrary to this happens, then we can assess," he added.
On Wednesday, Iran said it would "take action" in the Bab al-Mandab Strait, which connects the Red Sea to the Gulf of Aden and the Indian Ocean, "if provoked," raising fears that Tehran could use its Yemen-based proxy to carry out such actions.
The Bab al-Mandeb Strait lies between Yemen, Djibouti, and Eritrea, with the Houthis on the Yemeni side.
Man in his 60s dies in latest Iranian missile barrage
The Houthi attack on Saturday followed an Iranian barrage toward southern and central Israel overnight that killed one person in his 60s, paramedics say.
Earlier in the night, explosions were heard over the Syrian capital of Damascus, with Syrian media and authorities clarifying that it was due to the Iranian ballistic missile interception by the Israeli air force.
Reuters contributed to this report.
最近の投稿
- 1
Novo Nordisk cuts Wegovy price in South Africa for a second time - 2
Egypt seeks to calm tourist fears over fallout of Iran war - 3
IDF strikes Hamas terror base in Lebanon, Health Ministry says 11 killed - 4
Step by step instructions to Utilize Open Record Rewards for Your Potential benefit - 5
Extravagance SUVs for Seniors: Solace, Innovation, and Security
Best Pizza Beating: What's Your #1?
Watch SpaceX launch 119 payloads to orbit from California early on March 30
The Minimized Passage Horse: Reconsidering a Symbol for the Cutting edge Period
Help Your Insusceptibility: Good dieting and Way of life Tips
Figuring out the Business venture Code: The Response to Building an Effective Startup
A 3-limbed Kemp's ridley sea turtle is now being tracked at sea by satellite
The Force of Care: Living with Goal
Hamas urges Hezbollah to kidnap Israeli soldiers in wake of Knesset passing death penalty bill
Al-Sharaa denies he called for 80% of Syrians to return from Germany













